Sunday, October 7, 2007

Vegetarian Borscht Recipe

This is a vegetarian twist on a Ukrainian/Russian soup. It's beautiful magenta hue is a delight to the eyes and the fresh dill really brings out it's true flavors.
Prep:25m Cook:40m Servings:8

Ingredients
6 cups water
2 carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 medium beets, skinned and chopped
1 large can whole tomatoes, squished with hands
2 potatoes, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped cabbage
3-4 sprigs fresh dill chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
serve with dollop of sour cream or yogurt on top and some fresh dill sprinkled over it
serve with a good hearty sourdough bread

Directions
Place water and a couple pinches salt in a large stock pan or dutch oven – over high heat. Add carrots, pepper, celery, beets, and potatoes and bring to a boil.
Melt 1/3 cup butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in butter until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir cabbage into the skillet with remaining sauce, and continue simmering until tender.
Add onion-tomato mixture to the stock pot. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 – 15 minutes more. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Top with sour cream/yogurt and more fresh dill for garnish.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I made borscht (for the first time ever!) last week using this recipe. Holy cow, was it ever good!!

Except when my bf printed the recipe for me, he didn't print the directions. I just threw all the ingredients into the soup pot (even the butter!) and it turned out fabulous.

I'm planning to make it again tonight, because we have tons of beets from the garden in our fridge. I think I might double the beets too, because I just love them.

Unknown said...

I made this recipe 3 x now and it's sooooo good :)

Chantale

Sarah said...

When do you add the dill?

I made this recipe about a year ago, and I loved how it turned out, but now I want to make it again and can't figure out at what step I'm supposed to add the dill. The recipe calls for 3-4 sprigs, but only mentions it at the end:

"Top with sour cream/yogurt and more fresh dill for garnish."

Fine, so I'll keep some aside for garnish, but when am I supposed to add the rest? (I feel like an idiot for not being able to remember what I did last time!)

For now I'm thinking I'll just toss most of it in with the cabbage, so it the flavour can blend, and add the rest towards the end so there's some that's not too overcooked. But I'm guessing there's a "proper" time to add the dill...?